Wednesday, October 2, 2013

DAY - 44

Intelligence + Creativity = Greatest Potential.   One of my professors proposed this idea 2 weeks ago.   Until recently,  intelligence and creativity were on opposite sides of the spectrum.  You have the smart people and you have the creative people.  Left brain people and the right brain people.  But what this simple philosophy proposes is that to achieve our greatest potential we must strive to enhance BOTH  our intelligence and our creativity.  Look at the greats, Einstein, Franklin, Edison, Shakespeare, etc, etc, all super intelligent and vastly creative.  To quote Einstien, "Creativity is Intelligence having fun."

That all sounds great but what does it have to do with music, songwriting, performing!?  Well, when I first heard this concept it hit me like this.  The more I increase my knowledge of the craft the more creative I will become.  In other words, the more hard work, practice and study I do, the easier it will be to let my "intelligence have fun."  The reading, analyzing, evaluating will feed the higher processes of the brain and ultimately fuel creativity.  Feed the left side, fuel the right side.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but I thought it was a pretty awesome concept and thought I'd share.

Anyway, I got my ReverbNation site up and sort of running this weekend.  Need to take the time to upload more content but if you're on RN hit me up!  www.reverbnation.com/michaelaugustmusic

Tonight I have a session with Philadelphia singer-songwriter, Matt Santry.  Matt just got back from a great trip to Nashville.  I'm pumped to continue working on our song.  The idea/hook is so strong and the rest of it is shaping up nicely.

Today I reached out to Cliff Audretch III, senior A&R director at Showdog Records.  I sent Cliff a song I've been working on with co-writer, Eric Schwank.  I fired off a quick email letting him know that it was something I thought he should hear.  (I have Toby Keith in the back of my head)  Fingers crossed he takes a listen and digs it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment