Friday, August 30, 2013

DAY - 22

Happy Friday!  The weather has been fantastic this past week in Nashville.  Much needed sunshine.  We got a TON of rain this summer.    The week before Sue and I got married it rained everyday!  Hah, we were so nervous too because our ceremony was outside.  Luckily, the Lord blessed us with an incredible day...in more ways than just the weather!

Connection Photography 


Here's a cool little interview I read yesterday with songwriter, Bonnie Baker. A lot of useful info/advice in here.  http://chadshankmusic.com/2012/05/11/songwriting-qa-with-pro-writer-bonnie-baker/

Last night I heard from Fred Knobloch.  We finished up tracking on the new demo and he's starting to mix today.  If all goes smooth, we'll be pitching it in 2 weeks!  Time to get this one on the street, as Fred would say.

This morning I decided to reach out pretty high.  I contacted Combustion Music.   I can't even start to rattle off how many successful writers are employed there and how many cuts and hits are coming out of that office so I'll just direct you to the website.  www.combustionmusic.com  I sent an email to creative manager, Kenley Flynn.  Same type of "cold call" email I've been sending. We'll see.

I'm a little bummed because I haven't been having as big of a success rate with responses lately.  I realize it's the summer and everyone's getting their last minute vacations in, but come on people! Don't you know I have a goal here lol!  But seriously,  I am basically cold calling and the name of the game when it comes to cold calling is numbers.  Also, it's important that when the response does come...have the goods!

"Assume the A&R person you're meeting will have an appointment with Luke Laird right before you and Don Schlitz right after you.  If your song can't compete, put down the phone and pick up the guitar." Hit writer, Brent Baxter from his blog, ManvsRow
(manvsrow.wordpress.com check it out if you haven't already!)   

Regarding cold calls, they definitely can get you in the door sometimes, but nothing beats an introduction and a good old hand shake.  I need to work on getting more of those.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment