Thursday, August 22, 2013

DAY - 16

This morning I decided to touch base with my PRO.  For the non-musician or songwriter, PRO stands for performing rights organization. (here's the wiki for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_rights_organisation)   I'm with ASCAP.  PROs are good for more than just numbers and figures stuff.  They're also places in which artists, songwriters and musicians can find support.  They can help open doors and offer opportunities such as industry nights, writer's nights, social events, etc.  If you can gain an ally at your PRO they can be a HUGE help!  I think about it this way...they WANT us to succeed.  Money in our pockets means money in their pockets.  They talk to the big wigs EVERY day and could potentially do anything from referring your name to passing along your music to setting you up with a writer's night in front of publishers and label execs.   My long-winded point is... I figured I reach out to ASCAP today and say, "HI!  I'm here. Listen to me. Help me...Help you!"  I didn't say it like that exactly, but I think that was the general idea.

I reached out to creative manager, Ryan Beuschel, senior creative director, LeAnn Phelan and head of creative, Michael Martin.  Ryan, LeAnn and Michael are three of the point people in the Nashville branch.  There are also branches of ASCAP in New York, LA, Miami, Atlanta, Puerto Rico, and London.

Off to finish up a great new song with Megan Redmond this morning, then meet Jon D'Agostino and producer Jason Garner this afternoon. I love this city.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment