Tuesday, August 6, 2013

DAY - 4

Last night I had a writing session at Fontanel Mansion with the very talented, and super friendly, Steven Whitson. (Check out his new album "The One" on iTunes)  I met Steven about 4ish months ago when me, Sue and the in-laws took a tour of mansion.  He actually works at Fontanel, and we got to talking about writing.  He asked me if I'd want to write one day at the mansion after business hours.  I said, "Hell yeah!"  Fontanel Mansion is a sprawling 27,000 square foot log cabin that was built by Country Music Hall Famer  Barbara Mandrell and her husband.  Sitting on 136 acres of land, it's the largest log home in the world! (If I'm not mistaken)    check it out! www.fontanelmansion.com

Steven is fortunate enough to write virtually all of his music in the log home...either in the MONSTROUS great room or out on one of the many "pickin' porches"(balconies) that overlook the property.  We ended up writing in the great room.  The acoustics were heavenly.  After working through a bunch of ideas we got started on a keeper.  Collaborating with Steven was a blast and I can't wait to go back and finish the tune!  Some pics below...

I could hardly sleep and woke up really early this morning.  I have so many different song ideas and lyrics piling up in my head that it's hard to get some quality shut-eye.  Every time I wake up, I'm humming something and wrestling with the words in my head.  One thing leads to another and I've been up for over an hour, in the dead of night, staring at the ceiling.   I guess for a songwriter this is a good problem to have?  This morning I gave into the muse, got up early and started writing while still half asleep.  Surprisingly enough, I was actually coherent.  After downing a couple cups of much need caffeine, I hopped online and emailed Carrie Gallo.  Carrie is the new creative director at Cal 4 Publishing.  I met Carrie back in March when she came out to Bluebird Cafe to see my vocal group, Sweet Angeline and J Fred Knobloch do a showcase.  I followed up after the show and she told me to keep in touch.  Today I reached out and tried a new strategy.  I told her about one of my really strong song ideas and asked if she might be able to set me up a co-write to help knock it out of the park.  By strategy, I don't mean a way to trick someone into getting back to me.  What I mean is that it's a professional approach that will hopefully yield professional results.  As an unsigned writer, I'll keep trying everything I can to get my foot in as many doors as possible with the hope that someone will invite me in for the party :)



No comments:

Post a Comment