Tuesday, August 27, 2013

DAY - 19

In response to having a great year. "I have felt permission to define success differently.  You can never control how many people are going to respond to you and what you do as an artist, but you can control how deeply you are present in your work."  - Steve Moakler


Through a random series of events I was turned onto this young, new artist, Steve Moakler.   I've only dug into a small amount of his repertoire so far, but everything I've heard is truly compelling. Check it out for yourself.  www.stevemoakler.com  Listen to "Wide Open".

 The quote above spoke to me particularly this morning.  I admit that sometimes as a writer and even as an artist I get clouded.  Sometimes I catch myself getting caught up with "playing the game" and being commercial.  My thinking becomes consumed with rules, strategies, and techniques.  Although all of this has it's place in the business, sometimes I have to remind myself to forget it and just be me.  I couldn't have said it more eloquently than Steve said above, "...you can control how deeply you are present in your work."  Write from the heart, right to the heart.  

Today I reached out to Kobalt Music Publishing.  Honestly, I noticed Steve Moakler has them listed as his publisher so right off the bat I got a good vibe.  They look like a pretty big company with offices all over the place.  After checking out the site, I noticed they have a branch in Nashville so I sent an email to that one.

 That's it for now.  I have to take my dog, Indy to the vet to update his shots and then off to Fred Knobloch's to work on our demo.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment