Wednesday, August 14, 2013

DAY - 10


Trendspotting 

The more I dig into the business of songwriting the more I start to make connections back to business school.  Yup, my first college go around was a Bachelor's in Business Administration/Marketing at good ole Hawk Hill.(St. Joseph's University)  As you know, I'm not a hit writer with platinum records lining the hallways and twin Ferraris in the driveway….yet. ;)  But, I'm a constant student of this art form and what I learn along the way I'm willing to share. Please feel free to share back! 

The most substantial thing I learned in marketing class was the importance of picking up on trends in advertising, branding, and media.  What I realized is that it's just as important when it comes to the music biz….and to laser in even further, it's just as important for us as writers and artists!   Let me explain…

Being able to predict trends in popular music is like predicting the weather.  However, being able to spot trends EARLY is, in my opinion, a huge asset as a writer.  Yes, we all understand that staying fresh and ahead of the curve is our job as writers and artists, but how?  DISCLAIMER: There is no substitute for authentic creativity, honesty and heart in our music.  That being said, trendspotting can help us understand what labels/publishers are looking for/pitching, what songs are getting cut and why, what our audience is enjoying, and ultimately help us get our songs in the mix, on an album and hopefully on the radio!!  I've been taking some time out of every day to study the charts.  At the moment, I'm studying the top 40 country charts. What do I mean by "studying the charts?"  I sit in my office, (aka guest bedroom, studio, storage room) hop on the computer and pull up Billboard's top 40 country songs. I start from #1, pull up the lyric and read it through.  Then, I Youtube the song and listen.  Finally, I read and listen at the same time. (some lines seem to take on new meanings when reading while listening) Then, I move down the charts and repeat.  Keep in mind, you can do this in any genre. I've done the same thing with Pop.  To REALLY zero in on what I mean by trendspotting, let's put the magnifying glass on Contemporary Male Country.  

"1994" by Jason Aldean. Written by Thomas Rhett, Luke Laird and Barry Dean.
"Now girl I know you used to the same old same
But we ain't floatin' that boat, no we ain't ridin' that train
Hop on my rocket ship and let's get outta here
Let me put a little shimmer in your atmosphere

Now let's get outta this town, outta this club
Girl whatever you're sippin' I'ma mix it up
Take a few tick-tocks off of your clock
Put a little Third Rock in your hip-hop
I got that..."


"That's My Kinda Night" by Luke Bryan. Written by Ashley Gorley, Dallas Davidson and Chris DeStefano
"All them other boys wanna wind you up and take you downtown
But you look like the kind that likes to take it way out
Out where the corn rows grow, row, row my boat
Floatin’ down the Flint River, catch us up a little catfish dinner
Gonna sound like a winner, when I lay you down and love you right
Yeah, that’s my kind of night!"


"Boys 'Round Here" by Blake Shelton. Written by  Rhett AkinsDallas Davidson and Craig Wiseman;
"Yeah the boys 'round here
Drinking that ice cold beer
Talkin' 'bout girls, talkin' 'bout trucks
Runnin' them red dirt roads out, kicking up dust
The boys 'round here
Sending up a prayer to the man upstairs
Backwoods legit, don't take no shit
Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit"


"Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line. Written by group members Brian Kelley and Tyler Hubbard with Joey Moi, Chase Rice, and Jesse Rice.
"Yeah, when I first saw that bikini top on her
She’s poppin’ right out of the South Georgia water
Thought, "Oh, good lord, she had them long tanned legs!"
Couldn’t help myself so I walked up and said

Baby you a song
You make me wanna roll my windows down and cruise
Down a back road blowin’ stop signs through the middle
Every little farm town with you
In this brand new Chevy with a lift kit
Would look a hell of a lot better with you up in it
So baby you a song
You make me wanna roll my windows down and cruise"


"Crash My Party" by Luke Bryan. Written by Ashley Gorley & Rodney Clawson
"If you wanna call me, call me, call me.
You don’t have to worry ‘bout it baby.
You can wake me up in the dead of the night;
Wreck my plans, baby that’s alright.
This is a drop everything kind of thing.
Swing on by I'll pour you a drink.
The door’s unlocked. I’ll leave on the lights
Baby you can crash my party anytime.

Ain’t a spot downtown that’s rockin’ the way that you rock me.
Ain’t a bar that can make me buzz the way that you do.
I could be on the front row of the best show.
And look down and see your face on my phone.
And I’m gone so long, hang on. I’ll meet you in a minute or two."


"Helluva Life" by brand new artist, Frankie Ballard.  Co-written by Rodney Clawson, Josh Kear and Chris Tompkins
"Saturday night and a six pack, girl,
Big star shining on a small town world,
It's a helluva life, it's a helluva life. 

KC lights on a dirt road dance,
You take that kiss just as far as you can,
It's a helluva life, it's a Helluva life. 

And pennies make dimes and dimes make dollars,
Dollars buy gas and longneck bottles,
Beer gets a barefoot country girl swayin, 
To a song that's playin on the radio station.
Bad times make the good times better,
Look in her eyes and you're gone forever,
Aw its a helluva ride... Yeah, It's a helluva life."  


Are you picking up on what I am?  The trend that I'm spotting in Contemporary Male Country is what I'd like to call, "Country Swagger".   It's all about the cool factor.  Fresh, new, catch phrases GALORE!  These songs make their singer sound "cool".  There are tons of trends starting in ALL formats, let's find 'em early and give our songs the edge they need and deserve!  Please let me know if you discover something new.  Thanks!  mynameisaugust@yahoo.com 

Down to Biz...

KILLER writing session today with Megan Redmond!  We came up with a super-strong concept and hook as well as the melody and lyrics to back it up!  It's truly one of those golden ideas that just spills out on the page.  Yeah yeah, I'm always excited about new ideas, but I feel like we have something here. We shall see.  More to come on that!  Today I reached out to entertainment lawyer, Rush Hicks.  Rush is a music biz veteran in Nashville.  He knows the industry in and out.  Not only is he the chairman of the music business department at Belmont University but he is also the lawyer for Black River Entertainment.  Rush came out to see the Sweet A showcase at Bluebird.  Today I decided to reach out and try to set up a meeting...lunch or coffee.  Great day! 







No comments:

Post a Comment