Wednesday, January 22, 2014

DAY - 113

Last night,  I heard back from the very talented creative manager of Creative Nation, Julie Stuckey.  (refer to Day - 105)  She sent me a very nice and complimentary email.  Hoping to stay on Julie's radar in the future.  You know, as I'm writing this, I'm reminded of something Justin Levenson said at lunch last week. (Justin is the director of licensing at SESAC)  He said, this town is all about building relationships. Solid and long-term. You can't look 5 months down the road.  You have to look 5 years down the road.  "Sure, things can happen in 5 minutes in this town, but I'd hedge my bet on 5 years." J. Levenson.  (after just a short lunch, I got the impression that he could/should write a book!)

I couldn't have said it better and honestly, in my own short experience, that has totally been the case.  Nashville is a city, but the longer I'm here, the more I'm realizing it's a small town.  Especially in the music biz, everyone knows everyone and word travels fast.  It's so important to develop meaningful and  lasting relationships.  The longer a relationship develops the more comfortable people are to refer you and vice versa.

Which dovetails perfectly with my next story.  A good friend of mine, (a very successful author, tv personality and business woman as well as mother of two fantastic young musicians who have both been my students at one point or another) happens to be friends with a mega hit writer in Nashville and has offered to put me in touch.  Today, I reached out and said I'd love to take her up on it! :)  Hopefully, more to come.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment