Monday, November 19, 2012

DAY - 345

20 days left.  I feel like I've hit a little bit of a lull.  Been digging up great contacts and sending out solid emails/phone calls, but not getting anything substantial in return over the past few weeks.   It's actually crazy to think that this is the first time in the past 345 posts that I've felt like I haven't been getting much traction.  I can definitely say I've been blessed throughout this process.  This leads me to believe that I need to spice things up a bit.  Today I had an idea.  Since I don't want divulge my idea before it actually happens, I can't give you all the details yet.  I CAN say, however, that it is an "outside-the-box" idea for pitching a song.  Might turn out really cool, might be a flop.  Either way, when I get it together I'll tell you about it...better yet...I'll show you ;)

Besides starting to work on this new pitch idea I went through the listings on Taxi.com and found one that was pretty interesting to me.  The one thing I dislike about Taxi.com is that you're not guaranteed that the listing agent will actually hear your song.  It has to go through the "TAXI Screening Process" first and then the screener (who is supposedly always a music industry pro, don't know if I totally believe that..or better yet, what's your definition of pro?) decides whether the song or songs will be forwarded along to the rep.  Obviously, I understand this is for quality assurance purposes.  For example, if a major company decides to do a listing with Taxi and Taxi forwards them a ton of crappy songs, they'll probably never list with them again.  The only issue I have is that music is so subjective.  Maybe one screener will think my stuff is PERFECT for the listing and another screener hates it!  I have a lot of forwards as well as returns through Taxi but some of the returns just drive me crazy!!  I got A LOT out of the yearly convention they hold in LA but as far as the listings go, I'm still debating how much of a tool they really are.  I guess it's all part of the game though.  Anyway, here's the listing I submitted to...I'll let you know how this one goes when I hear back...

A LEGENDARY SONGWRITER is looking for CONTEMPORARY POP SONGWRITERS to sign to his BOUTIQUE PUBLISHING COMPANY. He's looking for songwriters who can write in the stylistic range of Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, P!nk, and Taylor Swift. QUOTING THE SOURCE: "Songs must have HUGE and IMMEDIATE CHORUS HOOKS like 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' by Taylor Swift." They're looking for CLEVER lyrics -- avoid cliches and cringeworthy rhymes. This writer has had numerous cuts with MAJOR ARTISTS, so PLEASE send only your best material. They want to hear songs by artists who "know what they're doing" and can hold their own among the music that is currently topping the charts. MID-to-UPTEMPO. ONLY

No comments:

Post a Comment