Tuesday, July 10, 2012

DAY - 256

Sometimes opportunities come along and you're too busy searching for other opportunities that you miss the one that's right in front of your face!  I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but I realized it happened to me...

In 2007-2008,  I was busy playing shows, booking tours, storming the media, etc,  and trying to become the next "Dave Matthews Band".  In late '07,  a father of one of guitar students, asked me if I'd be willing to write and score music for his upcoming documentary.  Let me preface this by saying this man is a very successful and award winning director for commercials like Mastercard.  I sat down with him, watched the film, and agreed to do the music.  One thing led to another, my focus shifted back to my own "vision" and I dropped the ball on the project.  Well, this documentary released in 2008 and happened to be "Song Sung Blue".  For those of you who haven't heard of it, its a multi, multi, award-winning documentary (I'm talking Slam Dance film festival winner) about a couple who were Neil Diamond and Patsy Cline impersonators.   The film followed their love story for years and it was truly incredible.  Just google it and you can read more about it, watch a trailer and buy the DVD.

My narrow vision of success caused me to overlook this special opportunity.  To make a long story short, as you can imagine,  this has been killing me for a while.  (especially now that my career focus is writing music for TV/Film and other artists)  Sooo...I figured one of the main reasons I started this blog is to make connections and to reconnect...so now would be a good time :)

I reached out to super-talented, director Greg Kohs to FIRST off, sincerely apologize for dropping the ball and secondly, try to reconnect with the hope of working together to some capacity in the future.   Greg, so graciously, wrote me back thanking me for my email and let me know he'd keep me in mind when he had an appropriate project.

Lesson Learned:

Keep your eyes and your mind wide open.  Opportunities may come in all shapes and sizes and sometimes you have to go a little outside of your comfort zone to recognize something truly worthwhile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment