Friday, July 6, 2012

DAY - 255


Close the door. Write with no one looking over your shoulder.

Don’t try to figure out what other people want to hear from you. Figure out what you have to say. It’s the one and only thing you have to offer.

Barbara Kingsolver




I came across this little snippet again and found it really inspiring.  A lot of the time, as a songwriter or even as a performer, you get caught up trying to figure out what people want to hear, how people want to be entertained, what is going to be different, what is going to sell...  I do it all the time.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, its a pretty natural question when you're putting your own hard work out in the world.  But, what Barbara Kingsolver says reminds me of why I started writing in the first place...its an expression of myself.  In a world of  "don't write this, don't say that, its too long, its too short, who's gonna sing this?, the melody isn't catchy enough, the lyrics aren't fresh enough, ect...ect...etc."  Sometimes you gotta just clear your mind and write from the heart.

Had a killer show with the Liv Devine Band last night at World Cafe Live.. here's a pic


This morning I emailed NYC Music Publisher, Jeremy Yohai.  I sent him "Heart On A String" and straight up asked him if he thinks he might be able to help get it placed with Disney Pixar and/or Fox Film Animations.  I know it was a ballsy email for a Friday morning but I figured Jeremy does a ton of TV/Film stuff so if he digs it, he might be able to help connect the dots.

I also heard back from hit songwriter, Jim Femino. (refer to day 253) He said he really digs my stuff, especially "20/20" and he's interested in working together!!   Hopefully more to come on that!  Stay tuned and have a great weekend!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment