Friday, December 30, 2011

DAY - 123


A lot of songs you write are just for exercise -- just pencil sharpeners.

Harlan Howard


I read this quote today and it got me thinking about my own writing.  I realize that every song I write is not going to be great.  Every song is not going to be a hit...not even close!  But what I realized today is that its important to not abandon a song just because it may not be "great" or a "hit".   I think its important to make every song as best and as tight as it can be both lyrically and melodically.  If I can challenge myself to finish most everything I start, it may result in a future idea and ultimately help to hone my craft and make me a better writer.  Food for thought...

Anyway, got started early today with a writing session with co-writer's Liv Devine and Gene Micofsky.  Had an awesome session!  Started a new song idea that Gene brought to the table last week.  Looking forward to finishing this tune...it just might be great! :)

Today I contacted Sire Records via MusicXRay.  I submitted my song "Caroline".  Here's what the listing said...


Music Submissions for Sire Records - Sire Records is an American record label, owned by Warner Music Group and distributed through Warner Bros. Records.  Current roster includes: Against Me, Blu, Eisley, Evan Taubenfeld, Fountains of Wayne, Foxy Shazam, HIM, Jack's Mannequin, LIGHTS, Meg & Dia, Never Shout Never, Regina Spektor, Tegan and Sara, The Maine, The Spill Canvas, The Veronicas

No comments:

Post a Comment