Friday, April 18, 2014

DAY - 174+175

Sometimes I don't think I'll ever get my big break.  And I don't mean that in a negative way.  While on this journey, what I'm finding is that it's all about the "little" breaks.  Last night is a perfect example of what I mean.  Bear with me...

Over two years ago, Sue (my girlfriend at the time) and I, while in Nashville, went to an ASCAP Song Source.  These are held every Wednesday night at ASCAP on Music Row. 15+ songwriters sit in a room and everyone plays a song for a special guest music publisher.  Usually, the publisher critiques the song and if they really dig it, they'll ask for a copy.  On this one night in particular, the weather was pretty sketchy and the forecast was calling for snow.  Turns out, no one showed up but me, Sue and the guest publisher, Shane Barrett!   I literally spent over an hour, one-on-one with Shane talking and playing him songs.  At the end of the session, he gave me his card and told me to stay in touch.  Needless to say, I did. (This story can be found in the first making it 365) Over the course of 2+ years, Shane began setting me up with co-writes, clients of his, etc.

Which brings me to last night.  Sue and I were invited to dinner to celebrate the launch of my co-writer, Jon D'Agostino's new publishing company, Demolition Music Publishing.  Around the dinner table at Maggiano's, sat 4 music publishers and 5 super talented songwriter's.  Who was sitting next to me?  Shane Barrett.  That's right!  Shane hooked me up with Jon and now Shane has been pitching songs I've co-written with Jon to Major label artists!  That "little" break, over two years ago, led me to breaking bread with some of Nashville's finest last night and to Jon and I writing another killer tune this morning in the office of his new publishing company on Music Row.  Crazy!

Another "little" break.  Remember the story of how I met VP of Round Hill Music Publishing, Mark Brown, walking down an alley behind ASCAP?  (the story is DAY - 153)  Well, yesterday we had a meeting...and it went great!  We hung out for over an hour, talking and playing songs.  He dug everything I played him and said to call next week, keep in touch, and he'd like to meet again!

Everyone talks about their "big break".  I hope to talk about that one day as well.  But for now, I'll celebrate the little breaks.

Happy Easter weekend!

PS: Congratulations to Jon D'Agostino and the launch of Demolition Music Publishing.  www.demolitionmusicpub.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment