Wednesday, October 1, 2014

DAY - 281

I always get inside my own head and psych myself out before a big writing session...especially if it's with a new co-writer. What if he/she doesn't like my ideas? What if it doesn't go well and then he/she doesn't want to work again?  What if I totally suck that day and it gets back to the publisher that set up the meeting?   Now granted, it usually turns out fine or even great, however sometimes those insecurities get the best me.   One of my co-writer's Scot Sax (Like We Never Loved At All) said something I'll never forget.  He said, "Every time I pick up the guitar or walk into a writing session I always imagine myself writing the best song I've ever written."  He said, "I actually tell myself...I'm going to write a kick ass song right now."  I've started using that technique as a subtle confidence boost.  I don't know how much of songwriting is technique, practice and skill... and how much is mental.  I'd venture to say that mental aspect plays a BIG part!    Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Which leads in perfectly to today's update.  Last night, I got an email from Natalie at Liz Rose Music letting me know she scheduled me to write at Liz Rose Music next Friday with Jesse Walker and possibly a third writer!  Jesse has written for artists such as Avril Lavigne and Martina McBride.  I'm totally pumped for this opportunity.  It's going to be the perfect way to close out the "writing binge, week off from school" that I have next week.

This morning, I responded yes to session,(of course) and thanked Natalie for the opportunity.  Now it's time to gather some KILLER ideas, melodies, etc to bring to the table!!  Oh...and get out of my own head.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment