Wednesday, November 12, 2014

DAY - 310-312

Good morning Nashville!  It's cold and cloudy outside, the car is warming up and I'm finishing off a pot of coffee.  The past few days have been good...

On Monday and Tuesday, I pitched Love & Theft's whole team, (producer, A&R, management) a few songs.  I ended up hearing back this morning from their producer, Josh Leo.  He liked the songs I sent over, but let me know they are finished up recording the record.  You'd think I'd be depressed.  I was actually excited to get the response, even though it was technically a "no".

If you're in the business world you "climb the ladder" of success, working your way to the top.  Well, in the songwriting business we are constantly climbing the ladder of rejection.  A week ago, I had a song turned down by Joe Nichols' producer, a few weeks before that, I had a song turned down by The Band Perry.  Again, you'd think I'd be upset.   But honestly, my initial reaction was, "The Band Perry listened to my song!? That's awesome!"  As songwriters and artists, rejection is part of the game.  We are constantly striving to get our songs up the ladder to the real decision makers but often hear "no" before they get past the first or second step.  The higher up the ladder of rejection we get, the more doors open.  Eventually, if we're lucky, we will get to hear that one word that can change our careers, "yes".

Last night, I met with a great songwriter named Chris Yurchuck.  Chris and I met for a beer at The Tin Roof.  Instead of writing a song right off the bat, we got together and hung out.  Chris is an awesome guy and a hard working songwriter.  We're going to be getting together in January for our first write.

Tonight, I working with Alex Seier for the second time.  Alex and I started a song over the summer but our schedules have been pretty crazy.  Alex has been touring a lot.  We're getting together tonight to finish up the song and maybe start something new.  Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment